International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Job Vacancy 2019 for Country Administrator
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Job Vacancy 2019. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Job Vacancy 2019
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) –develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia (www.ciat.cgiar.org).
The Country Administrator has the responsibility of providing overall administrative and program support to the on-going Projects of CIAT in Malawi. The position will work closely with the regional coordinators based in Nairobi to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and compliance with host country requirements.
Project & General Administration
- Provide on-site support to researchers in the preparation of proposal budgets and maintain a database of all project activities in Malawi.
- Lead the support team to provide project implementation support in the country to ensure timely and effective support is provided consistently.
- Support the review and revision of office shared cost distribution table
- Manage, review and respond to the internal and external communication flow drafting correspondence and responding to queries from collaborators and internal clients.
- Assume responsibility for other project functions such as planning meetings, drafting letters/reports, scheduling appointments as appropriate.
- Lead the procurement management and processes – identifying, evaluating and recommending potential suppliers/service providers and management of active Prequalified Supplier list.
- Oversee Fleet Management and take a lead in office vehicle acquisitions, registration maintenance and disposals.
- Provide oversight over the Travel and Conferences function by managing relationships with the service providers and ensuring adherence to travel authorization process for project staff and collaborators.
- Coordinate the security function for staff, hosted institutions, premises and assets
- Assist staff to handle accident matters – liaison with police for reporting and insurance for claims.
- Oversee management of organizational assets in the country by ensuring compliance with Policies and directives.
Host Country Requirements & CIAT Policies & Procedures compliance
- Manage and monitor agreements pertaining to CIAT and Government of Rwanda institutional relations and prompt the Country Coordinator on expiry of agreements and/or any change of regulations
- Follow up on renewal and management of hosting and other general partner agreements
- Oversee Human Resource arrangements and ensure regular dissemination/education on policies and
procedures; implement and monitor adherence to CIAT policies and country labor laws
- Coordinate tax/duty exemption applications from the Government where applicable, ensuring
compliance with duty/tax regulations in line with host country agreement
- Continuously monitor relevant government laws and regulations in the country (labor, tax, levies, hosting, etc.) and keep management updated.
- Ensure timely application and acquisition of work permits and clearance of personal effects, temporary visas for visiting scientists and conference participants
- Liaise with project leaders on arrival of expected project students and visiting scientists ensuring that administrative and logistical support, contracts, accommodation, transport, insurance, etc. are provided
Finance/Accounting Internal Control Systems Management.
- Ensure sufficient internal control systems are in place, ensuring proper segregation of duties and internal checks
- Review payments, confirm budget availability before payments are approved and ensure proper controls in accordance with grant agreement
- Ensure compliance to the CIAT monthly accounts closing chronogram, timely submission of reconciliations and other accounting reports
- Ensure timely accounting analysis, reporting and adjustments of staff accounts and supplier accounts
- Ensure sufficient internal controls are in place for all the project seed stores
Treasury (Cash) Management
- Maintain good working relationships with the CIAT official bank and follow-up regularly to ensure sustainable tariffs
- Ensure a proper/standard system of petty cash management is applied in the office, with regular reconciliations and cash counts to ensure maintenance of sufficient funds balances to support operations
- Cross-check approved/signed online payments on the online banking platform and send to bank for processing of payments
Management of Audit Process
- Coordinate station audit processes in liaison with the Country Coordinator by continuously monitoring documentation and processes and ensure implementation of audit recommendations
Human Resource Support Function.
- Lead in the Application and acquisition of work permits and clearance of personal effects, temporary
visas for internationally recruited staff and visiting scientists
- Ensure staff records and files for all CIAT staff are updated and coordinate staff leave
- Assist in the coordination of the performance management process
- Coordinate renewal of all staff contracts ensuring adherence to government policy on statutory deductions
- Ensure compliance with country labor laws on engagement of casuals and temporary staff engaged for administration and project support purposes.
Payroll management and tax compliance
- Supervise the monthly payroll by providing HR input and ensure tax compliance and other statutory deductions and remittances
- Oversee the VAT remittance and claims process
- Update the team and the regional office on new regulation or changes in tax laws
- Masters’ Degree in Business Administration/Project management with proven office management skills
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an international organization
- Experience in Operations and Administration management in international organization.
- Good knowledge of rules, regulations and procedures of government and related agencies, including
understanding interpretation of country labor laws and tax laws
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications, especially Outlook, Power Point and Excel and ability to
- learn new applications quickly.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills with a strong administrative service orientation
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure
- Highly effective planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- A genuine appreciation for and understanding of protocol, discretion and professionalism
Terms of employment:
This is a national position based in Lilongwe, Malawi and will be for an initial period of One (1) Year, renewable is subject to three (3) months’ probation, assessment of performance, and availability of resources. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit https://ciat.cgiar.org/jobs/ to submit their applications for this position, clearly indicating position applied for as HV-2150- Administrator. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
NB: CIAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting,
processing or training). CIAT also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts
Applications closing date: 1st May 2019
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted