Jesuit Worldwide Learning: Higher Education at the Margins (JWL) Recruitment 2018 for Academic Coordinator for Degree Programmes (AC Degree) – Jobs in Malawi
Jesuit Worldwide Learning: Higher Education at the Margins (JWL) Recruitment 2018 Announces their Recruitment for several positions, Therefore qualified Applicant is requested to Apply for Jesuit Worldwide Learning: Higher Education at the Margins (JWL) Recruitment 2018. See position below and Closing Date…
Who We Are
There Is Hope (TIH) manages an online higher education program in Dzaleka Refugee Camp called Jesuit Worldwide Learning: Higher Education at the Margins (JWL). JWL is a collaborative global partnership comprised of organizations, institutions, companies and, above all, people, to provide tertiary education to those who would otherwise not have access to higher learning opportunities. It draws on the rich and centuries-long Jesuit tradition of higher education and through a blended on-site and on-line approach mobilizes the resources of Jesuit and other worldwide networks of educational institutions.
JWL’s vision is to provide tertiary learning to people and communities at the very edges of our societies – be it through poverty, location, lack of opportunity, conflict or forced displacement (refugees) – so that they can contribute their knowledge and voices to the global community of learners and together we will foster hope to create.
TIH invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Academic Coordinator for Degree Programs (AC Degree), for the JWL project. The position is tenable at JWL’s offices at Dzaleka Refugee Camp in Dowa.
Overall Position Description
The AC Degree is responsible for overseeing the staff and students involved in the Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) AA/BA Program. The SNHU AA/BA program was launched in Dzaleka in April 2018, inviting 25 graduates of JWL’s Regis Diploma in Liberal Studies to continue their studies in SNHU’s Associate of Arts then Bachelor of Arts. In 2019, JWL will accept up to 50 additional students.
The AC Degree reports to the JWL Representative in Malawi, and liaises directly and frequently with international SNHU and JWL staff on student and program progress and issues. The AC Degree plays a significant role in the students’ internship and capstone initiatives.
In the future, this position will oversee other BA programs offered through JWL in Dzaleka.
General oversight of the program, students and staff:
- General oversight of the program, students and staff:– Supervise the Academic Coach and Academic Assistant and provide guidance and feedback on their work and programs with the students
– Run weekly meetings with the students, and lead mini-workshops, check-ins, and team building activities
Under “Securing internship and employment opportunities for students and advocating for refugee work permits“, this should be added;
– Oversee student capstone development and progress
This should be added under “Onboarding new students and tracking student progress” as the 5th point;
– Assist in recruiting new students by hosting information sessions and open days
Desired Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Business, Social Work, Project Management or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience in teaching or conducting workshops
- Experience in advocacy and networking
- Must be highly proactive in communicating locally and internationally with students, on-site members, supervisors, faculty, and JWL international staff
- Must have high expectations of quality and be very detail-oriented
- Strong problem-solving skills and a mind for innovation
- Highly proactive management and coordination skills, ensuring effective and efficient workflow
- Must have excellent computer skills and be fluent with a variety of online educational resources
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/global office across different departments
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and management skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, Google Calendar, and other relevant Google apps
- Familiarity with online work tools and project management software is preferred
- Critical and contextual thinking skills
- Strong time management and self-direction skills set
- Ability to work in an open office environment
- Flexibility, resilience to stress and ability to work under high pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and event planning experience
To apply, please submit your cover letter and up-to-date CV with 3 traceable referees to JWL’s Representative in Malawi, Nadia Asmal, via email at nadia.asmal@JWL.org by 5 pm on Friday, 14th December 2018. Interviews will be held shortly after and the position will begin in January 2019.