Agricultural Transformation Agency Jobs Vacancy 2018 for Transformation Agenda Advisor, Animal Health, Moalr Delivery Unit
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the Agricultural Transformation Agency Jobs Vacancy 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Agricultural Transformation Agency Jobs Vacancy 2018
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The ATA has launched a Delivery Unit within the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR) to directly support MoALR’s work on the Agricultural Transformation Agenda. The Transformation Agenda is a set of prioritized interventions to accelerate the transformation envisioned as part of Ethiopia’s Growth and Transformation Plan II (GTP II). Specifically, the Delivery Unit supports owners of Transformation Agenda Deliverables (TADs) within MoALR, with planning, reporting, project management and technical and strategic analysis. Delivery Units have played a critical role in accelerating execution of development initiatives in many countries, particularly in East and Southeast Asia, and today are also present in Ethiopia’s Prime Minister’s office and the Revenue and Customs Authority. The Delivery Unit will be jointly overseen by the Minister of Agriculture and Livestock Resources and ATA senior management. The Delivery Unit team plays a highly visible and pivotal role in accelerating agricultural transformation and development in Ethiopia.
The Transformation Agenda (TA) Advisor for Animal Health will work closely with the Delivery Unit team, the Ministry and the ATA to provide technical support to the project leaders of interventions related to livestock markets in the Transformation Agenda. Specific projects include:
- Benchmark young and adult stock mortality and morbidity (YASM) as well as develop and roll out interventions for priority production systems
- Strengthen and establish national animal health information and data base system including capacity for early detection and rapid response
- Increase higher livestock and livestock products off-takes
- Support endorsement and rollout of various draft legislations in veterinary services
- Develop and roll out veterinary service delivery system for pastoral production environment
- Develop and roll out animal health extension and communication strategy
- Develop and implement innovative control mechanisms and funding system for FMD and other priority diseases
- Develop and implement innovative alternative input supply, regulation and service delivery system for field-based animal health services
- Develop and implement innovative input supply, equipment maintenance & calibration system for veterinary laboratories including woreda clinics laboratories
- Endorsement and rolling out of veterinary services rationalization roadmap
- Strengthen, establish and standardize veterinary services and infrastructure at different level
- Develop diagnostic capacity and quality management system(QMS) of national and regional laboratories
The TA Advisor must have strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, technical expertise and problem-solving experience, as well as initiative design, planning, implementation management and reporting experience. The TA Advisor will report directly to the MoALR State Minister of Animal Health, and have a second, functional reporting line to the Delivery Unit Head. This position provides an opportunity to be on the front lines of Ethiopia’s growth and transformation into a middle-income country. The successful candidate will have a strong desire to learn, innovate and drive rapid change to benefit Ethiopia’s farmers.
- Coordinate effective annual planning, budgeting and target setting activities for Transformation Agenda projects
- Identify and analyze critical technical issues directly related to design and implementation of prioritized projects
- Proactively engage with other DU team members, the ATA and external partners to develop solutions and recommendations to address identified technical issues
- Engage with senior staff within the Ministry, the ATA and external partners to align on and implement project adjustments
- Provide advice on enhancing the effectiveness of the private and public sectors in animal health in production and marketing supply chains across the country, including supporting the creation of a range of animal health input and service providers to serve farmers and pastoralists in a timely, efficient and accountable way
- Support the introduction and scaling up of ICT-based disease surveillance and outbreak reporting systems and also implement risk based disease control strategy
- Provide support for the enhancement of the regulatory and institutional capacity, including prioritization of investments in the sector and linking federal and regional veterinary regulatory institutions in effective implementation of interventions
- Contribute to ToRs, concept notes, studies, workshops, and training materials, directly related to prioritized projects
- Monitor progress reporting through key reporting systems and tools, engaging with relevant activity owners to ensure reporting is timely and accurate
- Identify and escalate challenges around implementation and reporting, as well as solutions and recommendations, to project leaders and the Delivery Unit Head
- Provide capacity building on technical project execution to MoALR staff
- Provide other technical advisory and input needed for effective project implementation
- MA/MSc required in veterinary medicine, animal health, or a related area.
- 10+ years of professional experience with deep understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural sector, and specifically the livestock sector, with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates and how public, private and non-government organizations operate in the system
- An extensive network, and relationships with the key actors and service providers, both locally and internationally, within the animal health sector
- Expertise in planning, prioritizing, sequencing, managing, problem-solving and reporting on projects
- Practical experience in implementing solutions at the local level and the zeal to work with rural communities to change their situations
- Self-starter with strong motivation, ownership and commitment to deliver results
- Promotes data-driven and evidence-based problem solving and decision making
- Strong team player with excellent relationship building and communication skills
- Desire to innovate and drive rapid change for Ethiopia’s farmers
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Fluency in English and Amharic
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form athttp://apply.ata.gov.et
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.