Plan International Jobs Vacancy 2018 for Social Behavioural Change Communication Specialist (Sbcc Project Manager) – Jobs in Ethiopia
Plan International Jobs Vacancy, Plan International Recruitment, Plan International Jobs Opportunities
Plan International Jobs Vacancy 2018
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Social Behavioural Change Communication Specialist (SBCC Project Managerto be based in the Country Office.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan is seeking applicants for SBCC specialist for the USAID-funded Transform WASH project in Ethiopia. Project goal have been plan to achieve through consortium members, led by Population Services International (PSI). The consortium members are Population service international (PSI), SNV, IRC and plan international Ethiopia. The SBCC Specialist will be in charge of managing Transform WASH project under the role of plan international Ethiopia specialisation (demand creation for snatiation improved products).
The SBCC Specialist will be in charge of overseeing WASH behavioural and practice change/demand creation activities at the community level through Health Extension Workers (HEWs) to increase demand for low-cost, quality WASH products and services, with a focus on sanitation
The SBCC Specialist will serve as the lead technical specialist for successful implementation of the project demand creation activities. The specialist will advise and support the Consortium in the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy to strengthen and sustain efforts to increase on demand for improved sanitation products and services in project supported geographies, with an initial focus on Behavioural change communication tools, VSLAs and model latrine and WASH service construction activities. The Specialist will furnish leadership to project staffs, partners and provide day-to-day direction of all demand creation activities,
Dimensions of the Role
Plan international Ethiopia supports this program in most parts of the country – Amhara, Oromia, Tigray, SNNPR, Somali, Benishangul gumz Afar and Gambella, regions of Ethiopia with currently 5 project staffs and total five years budget of $ 2,430,889.The position holder is expected to provide her/his technical expertise to the country WASH program and particular to the transform WASH project, including across the other consortium members as a technical expertise to the coalition.
The demand creation activities could be demonstrated through different innovative means in which it can address the target beneficiaries through government structure and health extension works, House to house, through VSAs, and creating demonstration site ( WASH service construction) for improved sanitation products and services. The demonstration sites could be health posts and health centres, schools and other public demonstration and service areas.
The position holder also delivers adequate support and assistance for the implementation of the project communication strategy with an aim of enhancing the overall achievement of the program through internal and external communications and public relations activities that build visibility, and brand; increase knowledge and awareness of program goal and Plan in Ethiopia within different audiences, and that support key business processes including but not limited to program communication, knowledge management and learning.
- The project holder is responsible to manage the overall project strategic role, implementation role project staff management and leading role, external and internal communication including donor communication and communication among and with project consortium member.
- Responsible to Provide leadership and technical expertise to design, develop and monitor SBCC strategies for improved sanitation product and service in collaboration with the government offices and selected institutions, through a mentoring, learning by doing approach
- Lead, coach and supervise project staff to develop and implement SBCC strategies
- Support the development of innovative new approaches to SBCC, including use of Information and Communication Technology
- Support design and implementation of SBCC-specific capacity building activities to partners and front line health extension works
- Contribute to capacity building , formative researching and gap and lesson identification activities
- Oversees, financial, and operational management of the project, ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting, budget monitoring, and compliance with USAID procedures in all financial, contractual, and procurement activities.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports as required, detailing the performance of the SBCC program, including reports and others as directed
- Support and assist country Program Quality Department, including M and E team in proper data monitoring, analysis and reporting pertaining to respective project initiative
- Integrate and implement broader Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) strategy in to improved WASH product market activities into project’s
· Monitor WASH demand creation activities according to the M&E framework, and assess whether are achieving desired goals
· Contribute to all WASH content for reports and meet all reporting requirements.
· Gather feedback on implementation of SBCC strategies in piloted districts and provide technical support, when necessary
- She/he will ensure a smooth working environment and teamwork within Plan International Ethiopia, the respective field staff and across the Transform WASH partners;
- VSLA groups and WASH product and service construction and implementation follow up, Guidance and integration with the social behavioural change activities.
- Build the technical Capacity of district office, Kebele Administrators, HEWs, and other local level actors using proven approaches, according the national strategy, to promote demand creation for improved sanitation and health hygienic behaviour
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by his line manager, the sponsorship and Communication Manager and/or the CD.
1. Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Educational Qualification and Experience
· Master’s degree in communications, public health, behaviour change communications, social marketing, human development; secondarily in public health and nutrition, nursing sciences and/or related development studies; or equivalent combination of education and work experience in the context of SBCC or Related Field
· A minimum of 12 years of relevant SBCC technical, demand creation, program/project leadership experience primarily in the context of an SBCC project or program;
· Demonstrated experience and acceptability in working with government, NGOs, and donors. Experience.
· Proven leadership, mentoring, teamwork, partnering skills (facilitating dialogue and communications across diverse sectors, institutions, and geographic administrative levels)
· Preferably including experience with the use of mass media and social networks to influence and gain public support, the negotiation and formation of alliances across interest groups;
· Previous experience of managing and developing a multi-disciplinary team. Focus on WASH, Social Product Marketing
· Demonstrated experience working with community groups to change behaviour
· Or small businesses to improve business practices and messaging,
· Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
· Highest level knowledge of SBCC and its application to programs.
· Specific experience in CLTS and WASH marketing highly desired
· In-depth knowledge of project cycle management and child centred community development programming.
· Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
· Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and lesson learning systems and the process of project cycle management.
· Working experience with USAID funded WASH projects advantageous
Skills Specific to the Post
· Ability to assess priorities and competently complete a variety of activities with a high level of accuracy and timeliness and attention to detail
· Ability to initiate and implement activities with minimal oversight and supervision
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
· Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
· Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
· Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications.
· Extremely flexible, able to work independently, and has the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
· Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
· Interest in and ability to train staff
· Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Ability and willingness to travel and work in remote and challenging environments
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is September 25, 2018. Qualified candidates should submit the application with this link https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=31763&company=PlanInt&username=
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
– Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
– Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.