Strengthenig Education for Mining Project Jobs Vacancies 2018 for Technical Operations Manager (Tom) – Jobs in Ethiopia
Strengthenig Education for Mining Project Jobs Vacancy, Strengthenig Education for Mining Project Recruitment, Strengthenig Education for Mining Project Jobs Opportunities… Jobs details below…
Strengthenig Education for Mining Project Jobs Vacancies 2018
STEM (2017-2022) is a Global Affairs Canada–funded project which aims to increase the number of Ethiopian men and women with relevant skills and qualifications for work in the mining sector as part of the country’s National Growth and Development Plan (2016-2022). The project’s goals are to strengthen university and technical vocational institution’s capacity to produce skilled and qualified graduates that have relevant technical and environmental skills and knowledge for the mining sector; to improve the instructional capacity of university/TVET instructors; and to ensure that community members, especially women living in and around mining sites have the appropriate skills and abilities to benefit from employment opportunities resulting from mining activities.
PROJECT AND CONTRACT PERIOD
The STEM project started in December 2016 and will end in April 2022. The Technical Operations Manager (TOM) position is a full-time position to be renewed annually pending positive job performance evaluations.
STEM TECHNICAL OPERATIONS MANAGER
Based in the STEM Mekelle office, the Technical Operations Manager (TOM) will work closely with the Canadian Project Field Director (CPFD) to provide technical and operational management and oversight to the daily operations of the technical work streams of the project. The TOM will ensure that smooth logistical, coordination and internal management support is provided to all technical areas of this complex, large-scale project’s operations. The scope of this position includes the program work streams (WBS 1100, 1200, 2100 and 2200) including gender equality and Monitoring and Evaluation. This does not include Finance, administration or Human Resources however, close coordination is expected. The TOM will demonstrate excellent planning, organizational, coordination and communication skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Reporting directly to the Country Project Field Director (CPFD), the TOM will work ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day management and supervision of the technical staff and related operations to deliver activities in accordance with the approved annual work plan and implementation schedule.
- TOM will provide leadership and guidance to the technical team in executing their work plans. In doing this the candidate will exercise good judgment and will keep project goals and objectives clearly in view. The TOM will have responsibility for the following:
LIAISON, COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION
- Maintain positive working relations between the Ethiopian and Canadian implementing agencies and partner institutions such as the MoMPNG, MoE, other Ministries, university partners, industry, etc.
- Work in a participatory and collaborative manner with project technical team members applying a high degree of professionalism and demeanour at all times
- Manage and forge new relationships with vendors and suppliers on behalf of the project as related to the technical needs/equipment fund usage
- Ensure that inter-related activities are coordinated across work streams where necessary on the ground
- Provide management support and coordination to the technical experts and project consultants to plan and implement their roles and terms of reference
- Provide decision-making and operational guidance to the technical team members in implementing their program activities
- Support team members in managing stakeholder relationships as per their work streams
- Identify and evaluate opportunities in the broader employment context that are relevant to the STEM
- Assist in the development of operational plans, policies and procedures with the CFPD
- Apply RBM concepts and tools including the project Logic Model (LM), Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and Performance Measurement Framework (PMF) with supporting budgets to all aspects of project delivery
- Daily operational oversight in Mekelle, ensuring staff are progressing with their work stream activities
- Monitor the technical work streams to ensure that activities are implemented as per the planned schedule
- Maintain the project activity whiteboard and recommend/track changes to the schedule, coordinating the scheduling of activities to maximize efficiency
- Ensure that new and/or unplanned activities receive appropriate approvals and support for implementation
- Ensure that delivery of planned project activities to implement the AWP are appropriately supported including integrating gender equality and M& E activities
- Manage key events and activities related to the technical project implementation
- Conduct regular monitoring of project activities and impacts on the field budget, consulting with the CPFD and Finance Coordinator to undertake corrective action as necessary
- Ensure that follow up is consistent re: action items, working groups, and that planned activities adhere to project policies and procedures
- Oversee the daily operations of the STEM project in the Mekelle office
- Ensure the operations between the Mekelle and Addis Ababa offices are well coordinated
- Coordinate with the administrative and financial staff to ensure smooth logistical planning and implementation of project activities
- Assist in the preparation of management and administrative documents for GAC
- Ensure administrative and financial deadlines and timelines are met i.e. reporting, expense claims, timesheets, etc.
- Manage the use of project vehicles in Addis and Mekelle
- Undertake other duties and activities as required.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD PROVIDE CURRICULUM VITAE ADDRESSING THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED ITEMS:
- Advanced University degree in Management, Administration or other relevant field
- A minimum of five years of supervisory/management experience in operations management
- Proven track record of technical and managerial experience in the implementation of projects, including financial management and oversight of technical project streams
- Ability to lead effectively, and demonstrated excellent conflict resolution skills
- Capable of managing multiple priorities with critical time demands
- Ability to navigate through complex operational situations that may require multiple decision making
- Required functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player, and cross-cultural facilitator
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in Amharic and Tigrinya
- High level of computer literacy
- Ability to travel (Some inter-regional travel in Ethiopia will be required to support the overall implementation of this project.)
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2018
Please submit a CV (three-page limit) and covering letter that highlights your competencies in relation to this Job Description to Claudie Robert-Lemire at [email protected] and on or before September 18, 2018. Specify the position you are applying for (“STEM Technical Operations Manager”) in the subject line.
Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Agriteam.