Vital Strategies hereby invites applications from Ethiopia for a Vacancy as a Hypertension Program Manager
at Vital Strategies. The application will close on 30 September 2022.
Location: Addis Ababa
Vital Strategies advertised posts are as follows:
Hypertension Program Manager
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality. For more information about our work, visit: https://www.vitalstrategies.org/
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has worked closely with low- and middle-income country governments, the World Health Organization, academic and other civil society partners to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and build capacity for and implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease. For more information about our work visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://linkscommunity.org/.
Since May 2019, Resolve to Save Lives has collaborated with the Federal Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization on a Hypertension Prevention and Control Project in six regions and Addis Ababa city administration. The project includes hypertension prevention through screening, treatment, and health education at point of care on service uptake and treatment adherence, as well as salt reduction campaigns at community-level and in schools. Five strategies are key to the success of the hypertension program: standardized treatment protocol; community-based care and task-sharing; uninterrupted supply of medications; patient-centered care; and a strong information system to record and report on hypertension control.
Simple is a free, open source app developed by Resolve to Save Lives to strengthen information systems relating to hypertension treatment. Simple app is used by nurses, doctors and population health experts to improve treatment for patients with high blood pressure. Learn more about the Simple project at Simple.org and in this article.
Reporting to the Ethiopia Country Director, the Hypertension Program Manager will oversee implementation and supervision of the hypertension program based on national protocols and guidelines of the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- Take a lead and coordination role in ensuring high-quality hypertension-related data collection and timely reporting on hypertension management and control from Regional coordinators
- Ensure high quality technical and programmatic training for health care workers and other key program staff
- Provide ongoing supervision of hypertension treatment at all facilities participating in the program
- Coordinate the implementation of data for health activities including the Simple app and newly designed IT systems
- Ensure deployment and scaled use of the Simple app in collaboration with RHBs in program regions
- Coordinate with FMOH on data utilization and sharing of Simple
- Lead the preparation of the training materials on Simple app including short videos and support training of HCW on the use of Simple
- Monitor use of Simple and provide technical support to RHBs as needed
- Produce quarterly, bi-annual and annual report on the Simple utilization and the impact of the program on improving quality health service provision
- Coach and mentor the regional hypertension program coordinators in Addis Ababa, Amhara, Dire Dawa, Oromia, SNNP, Somali and Tigray
- Identify and address program implementation challenges, working in close collaboration with FMOH and WHO
- Coordinate quarterly project supervision in collaboration with FMOH
- Coordinate regular analysis of surveillance and epidemiological data and share findings and plan interventions accordingly
- Coordinate the planning and monitoring of drug availability and timeliness of drug delivery to health facilities
- Coordinate community engagement activities on the prevention, treatment, and control activities
- Develop mechanisms to monitor and evaluate programs for their effectiveness and develop strategies for continuous quality improvement
- Manage programs within current and forecasted budget parameters
- Team management including staff recruitment, training, evaluation
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings, collaborate, and build strong relationships with other implementing partners
Required qualifications, experience and competencies:
- Master’s degree or higher in public health or related discipline
- At least 10 years’ work experience in public health program management and implementation
- Experience with NCD projects/programs is an added advantage
- Excellent analytical, organizational and documentation skills
- Familiarity with government of Ethiopia structure, legislative frameworks and processes
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with others and manage relationships with different stakeholders
- Understanding of the technical and programmatic aspects of a cardiovascular public health program
- Proficiency in use of computers, including MS Office applications, especially MS Excel
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
- Willingness and ability to travel to regions
How to Apply
How to Apply: Send your resume and a cover letter describing your experience and suitability for this role the following link: HTN Program Manager
The closing date is 30 September 2022.