Mercy Corps Jobs Vacancy 2018 for Deputy Team Leader- Sharpe
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the Mercy Corps Jobs Vacancy 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
- 0.1 Mercy Corps Jobs Vacancy 2018
- 0.1.0.1 Programme Summary
- 0.1.0.2 General Position Summary
- 0.1.0.3 Essential Job Responsibilities
- 1 How to Apply
Mercy Corps Jobs Vacancy 2018
Mercy Corps is an International Humanitarian organization operating Water and Sanitation, Economic Development, Livelihoods, Capacity Building, Emergency Response, Health and Nutrition, and similar sectors in the regions of SNNPR, Somali, Oromia, Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa. Mercy Corps works with communities, public and private sectors to implement appropriate relief, recovery and development interventions. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Deputy Team Leader- SHARPE
Primary Location: Addis Ababa
Open Position: 1
Mercy Corps plans to engage in a DFID-funded, 3.5-year programme, Strengthening Host and Refugee Population Economies (SHARPE), whose main objective is to “increase sustainably the net economic returns to refugees and hosts communities through both increased gains and decreased losses.” The programme will use an M4P approach, focusing on six market systems in three focal regions (Gambella and Somali Region, Jigjiga and Dollo Ado) to improve the livelihoods of 200,000 beneficiaries. The programme begins with a 6-month Inception Phase during which diagnostic reports will be developed, a management results framework developed and interventions piloted. Activities should focus on market systems development and be facilitative, adaptive and innovative to reach the beneficiaries in an equitable manner that promotes cooperation between refugees and host communities.
General Position Summary
The Deputy Team Leader (DTL) will support the Team Leader in providing overall leadership, management and strategic vision to the implementation of the SHARPE programme, to ensure that the programme meets its targets and deliverables on-time and within budget. The DTL will supervise technical implementation staff and ensure accountability to relevant policies and donor rules and regulations.
The DTL is the highest technical-level position for the programme and is a member of the program’s Senior Leadership Team. Based in Addis Ababa, he/she will provide technical leadership and guidance directly to the focal regions and ensure that the implementation activities carried out in the focal regions adhere to the programme’s M4P approach and desired outcomes. During the Inception Phase, the DTL will lead in the technical aspects of the diagnostic assessments and development of response options. During the Implementation Phase, he/she will lead in the technical aspects of implementation of the interventions. This position requires key skills in M4P; programme management; consortium management; and relationship management within the team and with partner organizations, stakeholders, and community members; and project management.
The Deputy Team Lead will also be a member of the MC Economic and Markets Development (EMD) Team, which uses market systems development to stimulate economic growth to create wealth and jobs for the poorest while maximizing investment from the private and public sectors. As a member of the EMD team, the Deputy Team Lead will contribute analytical thinking and innovative approaches and will support integration and harmony of approaches across all Mercy Corps Ethiopia market-driven programming.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
· Support the development of a vision and strategy for the programme shared with programme team and key stakeholders.
· Play an active role in identifying and developing new initiatives that foster and/or improve strategic objectives of the programme and the country office.
· Develop a portfolio of M4P activities across hubs that meet programme objectives as a whole
· Create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
· Lead planning, , and delivery of all components of the SHARPE programme that focus on Economic and Market Development;
· Work closely with the Team Lead, M4P experts and the M&E leads, private and public sector actors to design and implement innovative, and predominantly systems-level, interventions in these areas;
· Ensure consistent quality and effectiveness of all Economic and Market Development activities
· Lead thinking and practice in innovative approaches to Private sector partnership models, and ensure that experience is well-documented and contributing to thinking of all consortium members.
· Work closely with the Team Lead, M4P experts and the M&E lead to identify, scale up or shut down M4P interventiions
· Oversee program startup and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
· Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
· Facilitate the development of program implementation strategies
· Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
· Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget,
· Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
· Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards
· Proactively identify and monitor any risks to non-delivery and mitigating actions
· Prepare progress and other required reports
· Plan for and ensure successful implementation of a sustainable macro exit from the project;
· Ensure project activities are implemented and outputs achieved as planned and within the agreed budget, striving for Value for Money
· Develop the capacity of the team, facilitate development of innovative, contextually driven ideas; deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
· Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
· Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
· Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management
· Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps’ regulations,
· Maintain systems to ensure, within the programme, effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with programme, donor and Mercy Corps’ needs.
Influence & Representation
· Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events, in close coordination with the Country Director.
· Build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, local governments and other stakeholders.
· Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
· Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
· MA/Sc or equivalent in finance, economics or related field;
· Minimum five years’ mid to senior-level field leadership experience;
· Deep understanding and mastery of Markets4Poor approach and Economic & Markets Development facilitation including coaching, relationship building, communicating, entrepreneurialism/business understanding and innovating.
· Demonstrated success in M4P programs related to market systems strengthening, financial inclusion, private sector development, marketing and value chain programming;
· Familiar with all aspects of the relevant market systems including key actors, micro-financial institutions (MFIs), banks, Insurances, information service providers, inputs suppliers, producers, traders, intermediary and terminal markets governance frameworks (formal and informal); and all support markets and functionsProven ability for project and financial management;
· Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, prioritization skills;
· Experience with DfID protocols preferred
· Demonstrated ability to function as a social entrepreneur and proven success with building, managing and leading a team of professionals and the ability to function as a team player among peers;
· History of working effectively and respectfully with host country government, private sector, INGO and NGO partners in complex environments;
· A dynamic, “outside-the-box” attitude, with proven ability to think and act creatively in challenging environments;
· Prior experience working with pastoralist communities, in the Horn of Africa or elsewhere, required;
Success Factors The successful DTL will be a self-starter able to work in ambiguous situations. S/he will be a tolerant, flexible and able to work in difficult and stressful environments while following procedures. S/he will be highly effective at building teams, problem solving, and capacity building of national staff. S/he will also have the skill to engage, motivate and encourage staff to bring creative solutions to development issues, identify opportunities for increased impact, and pursue project objectives. S/he will be business minded, entrepreneurial, adaptive, curious, with great problem solving skills, unafraid to ask questions, and results motivated.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: October 25, 2018/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Yabello: P.O Box 185