Plan International Jobs Vacancy 2018 for Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (Wash) Country Program Lead – Jobs in Ethiopia
Plan International Jobs Vacancy, Plan International Recruitment, Plan International Jobs Opportunities
Plan International Jobs Vacancy 2018
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for a Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Country Program Lead to be based in the Country Office.
· The post holder will report to the Head of Programmes and will be responsible for the WASH thematic area budget close to 4,000,000 euro per annum and provide budget oversight for field based projects except for individual grant project budgets with own project managers.
· The post holder will manage all program related projects and supervises 5 field based WatSan Specialist based at the Program Area level.
· The post holder is responsible to manage program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of all WASH related interventions.
· Key components of the position include operationalization of the country program, advocacy and networking, developing and strengthening partnerships, resource mobilisation and team management. She/he will work to ensure smooth working environment between the country office team and the field respective staff.
· Liaising with government ministries, offices and bureaus at federal and regional levels and also with UN agencies, NGOs, Plan National Offices and other civic organizations and Plan Ethiopia partners
· Responsible for compliance to organizational and statutory policies and laws on People and Culture legality matters and also has responsibility to support in ensuring compliances.
· The position will be based at the Country Office.
Typical Responsibilities – Key end Results of the Position:
Project design, implementation and reporting
· Provide strategic leadership and guidance in designing effective WASH projects with long term perspective & linkage to longer term development within the framework of PIE’s Country Strategic Plan & Plan’s principles and values
· Planning and implementation of WASH project activities and set high quality performance targets ensuring adherence to national policy, strategy and technical standards, best practices and donor and internal guidelines
· Regular participation in WASH and related forums and coordination meetings and other relevant national platforms/networks and ensuring effective information sharing and flow within PIE
· Ensure effective communication and information sharing on WASH programming with in PIE
· Actively participate in soliciting fund for WASH projects
· Ensure development of core skills and competencies in WASH among PIE staff in the Country Office, Programme Units and project offices and also among partners (when needed)
· Ensure equal and fair opportunities and representation of both sexes and persons with disabilities in the program area.
· Coordinate WASH projects during planning, budget preparation, implementation, M&E and timely reporting ensuring quality and standards through enhanced partnership with government and non-government partners and also civic organizations including CBOs as appropriate
· Provide technical leadership and guidance in the design and undertaking of rapid assessments and standard surveys and subsequently in the design of WASH responses in affected areas to ensure alignment of PIE’s work with applicable government and donor policies, strategies and operating procedures
· Supervise WASH specialist and other team members
· Ensure that WASH projects are technically sound, environmentally friendly, socially and cultural acceptable; supervise to ensure that construction activities are done to the acceptable standard and government requirements
· Oversee all WASH activities in the field, ensuring sound implementation, reporting against objectives, and quality control. He/she will report and give day-to-day support to the team at CO, PU and in the field
· Explore new project & programming opportunities and funding sources to ensure adequate financing of projects by coordinating and supporting resource mobilization and liaising with staff at CO, PU and project
· Ensure documentation of good practices and effective communication of lessons within and outside PIE with the aim to enhance learning to improve future planning and programming
· Ensuring mainstreaming of cross cutting issues mainly gender, environment, HIV&AIDS and disability in responses and also adoption of important approaches from PIE’s pertinent initiatives notably CLTS
· Review and submit project progress and final/terminal reports for donors, government and other stakeholders
· Develop ToR for external evaluation of projects and assist in the recruitment of external consultants; monitor progress of evaluations/reviews and ensure timely completion and dissemination of reports
Dealing with Problems:
· Conducts thorough analysis of the capabilities of contractors before offering construction works and also once commissioned, closely follow up the construction process to ensure quality; this needs close working relationships with PAs and field based staff.
· Writes strong wining proposal, plans and designs programmes and coordinates implementation.
Communications and Working Relationships:
· Internally: Early Survival & Development of Children (ESDeC) Program Lead, (ESDeC P), Programme Manager, Resource Mobilization Manager, Finance Manager, Grants-Finance Coordinator, Logistics Manager, Program Area Managers and Watsan Coordinators.
· Externally: Federal Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Health, WASH Coordination Forum /Unit, NGOs, WHO and other UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral donors, Plan National Offices and other stakeholders including Plan Ethiopia’s partners.
Educational Qualification and Experience
· MSc degree in Hydraulic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Irrigation Engineering, sanitary Engineering, Water Supply Engineering or related disciplines
· 7 years of work experience for MSc and 10 years of experience for BSc with considerable experience in managing WASH projects.
· Construction – including supervision of a wide variety of water-supply projects such as spring, hand dug, shallow well and deep well development and rehabilitation.
· Experience in preparation of bills of quantities and contract tendering.
· Awareness of environmental health issues with special attention to the needs of women and children.
· Experience of managing water programme implementation and working in partnership.
· Experience in capacity building of partners and staff.
· Experience of linking WASH interventions with nutrition and food security programme designs.
· Demonstrated experience of KAP assessments design and analysis.
· General finance, administration, information management and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
· strong proposal writing, planning and programme designing and also coordinating skills
· Ability to deliver quality programs in a short time and work under stressful conditions.
· Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods in a field setting.
· Proven ability to work in a team environment and independently.
· Excellent written, verbal communication skills in English and Amharic.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is September 25, 2018. Qualified candidates should submit the application with this link
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
– Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
– Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.