Danish Refugee Council hereby invites applications from Ethiopia for a Vacancy as a Protection officer (PSS) at Danish Refugee Council. The application will close on 28 September 2022.
Location: Jijiga, Somali
Danish Refugee Council advertised posts are as follows:
- Develop Community-based outreach programs to promote awareness of appropriate coping strategies in response to psychosocial issues identified
- Safely identify and mobilize community members to participate in activities at the community center;
- Ensure CB PSS is delivered in line with global minimum standards and DRC guidelines
- Ensure DRC ICC are safe spaces to provide community-based PSS (CB PSS) and identify and train community focal points and Community Based Group (CBG) members to deliver CB PSS.
- Raise awareness about the activities in the community center with the community including with community leaders and focal points;
- Assist the community volunteers (CVs) in the identification of beneficiaries in need of counseling and ensure individual or group support for identified beneficiaries
- Promote the use of community-based approaches, including clear involvement of IDPs in PSS programs
- Safely identify and refer members of the community who require additional assistance and services to specialized services with defined referral pathways and Standard Operating Procedures, with a particular focus on high risk cases
- Train volunteers and/or train trainers in community-based protection and psychosocial support approaches and interventions such as psychological first aid and counseling
- Support community initiatives, actively encouraging those that promote community and family support for all affected community members, including people at greatest risk.
- Provide coaching, mentoring and training to CB PSS facilitators
- Participate in activity reporting and lesson learning.
- Ensure the proper documentation of data collected (hard and soft copies) during CB PSS (attendance sheets, permission slips, parental consent, referrals, etc.)
- Participate in the preparation of accurate reports for all Psycho-social related activities
- Collect monthly data and prepare narrative reports to provide updates of the project indicators submit to Protection team leader
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, or another related field.
- Minimum of 2 years direct experience on PSS
- Experience implementing Youth Empowerment Programming, Child-Friendly Spaces, Case Management, Psychosocial programming for people affected by disaster conflicts such as refugees or IDPs
- Familiarity with IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings
- Strong understanding of and working experience with IDP protection (such as community-based protection, child protection, and SGBV prevention and response).
- Excellent knowledge of Child Protection standards and basic principles.
- Proven experience in facilitating trainings
- Excellent knowledge of safe identification and referral principles
- Prior experience of working in Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) projects
- Experience in an NGO environment
- At least 1-year of experience in the provision of Psychosocial support activities with children and caregivers
- Knowledge of child protection and GBV and PSS basic principles, child development and adult learning techniques
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values